Useful Tips & Information On Repairing Bicycle Rear Axle
Want to buy a private vehicle for your own but are out of bucks? Worry not as there exist some such vehicles as well that can serve you with their great performances in a very less price. To buy a bicycle, you need not shell much of your pennies.
Bicycle has been made up of numerous components, wheels being the most used as it is the job of a wheel only that keeps a bicycle going on smoothly. The axle over which wheel revolves needs to be strong and sturdy enough to maintain the working of the wheel. To know more about bicycles, the wheels and the axle read on the lines ahead.
Bicycle And Its Uses
A bicycle is a pedal-driven single-track vehicle. It is said to be single-track because it has been built up of two wheels only that are attached to a frame, one after another and hence while you are riding a bicycle you will feel as if you are traveling over a single track only. It has been built up long back taking into consideration the usefulness of simple and cheap means of transportation for some middle class families.
Now, moving on to its invention, bicycle has been first introduced to the world in the 19th century in Europe. Due to its versatility, it has made its place in a list of the most frequently bought and used vehicle. Key features that has made bicycle a very essential means of transport:
- A bicycle is very portable and hence can be used both in narrow as well as wide roads. Thus, countries such as India that possess villages and cities containing narrow roads in large scale are in profit with this flexible vehicle.
- With the invention of a bicycle, a new sports has been introduced in the world, namely bicycle racing that has made its place in the hearts of various people who love to ride a bicycle.
- Bicycle riding is enjoyable and healthy as well because it lets you move your legs continuously in a revolving motion that aids in maintaining the fitness of your legs. Thus, bicycle riding contributes to your general fitness arenas.
- Bicycle is in big demand even in some military and police applications due to its wide range of services at a very affordable price.
- It has also been built up as a toy for children who have just entered on Earth.
Thus, if you are planning to buy a bicycle for yourself, then you can get the aforesaid benefits at a very less cost easily. However, it is essential on your part to know how to tighten or loosen your bicycle brake beforehand when you ride a bicycle to abstain from any severe accidents.
Also, before buying a bicycle you need to very careful about the materials it has been made up of because it differs from company to company whether a bicycle lasts long or not. Various components present in a bicycle, especially the rear axle, is too eminent to keep it in a working mode as in the absence of a competent axle, you won’t be able to ride your bicycle smoothly.
What Is A Bicycle Rear Axle?
Bicycle rear axle, which is generally termed as a hub or a rod, is a platform for the wheel-sets of a bicycle to get attached to the bicycle. It basically acts as a bridge between a bicycle and the wheels. It not only supports the wheels but also forms the core part for the bearings with the help of which wheels are able to rotate and thereby, a bicycle can move from one place to another. Hence, axle is an indispensable part of a bicycle.
Axle can be designed in different shapes and sizes depending upon the type of a buyer. Whether the buyer of the bicycle is a male or a female or just a young child, will tell the manufacturer or the distributor about the type of bicycle their customers need. Being so eminent part of a bicycle, it becomes inevitable for you to avoid any kind of damage to the rear axle of your bicycle. Hence, it is must to learn how to repair the axle of your bicycle on your own.
How Can It Be Repaired?
An axle is a shaft to assist wheels while they rotate. It can be fixed either with the vehicle or with the wheels themselves. The bearings too, present with the axle, are attached in different positions depending upon the attachment of the axle.
An axle is delicate yet sturdy part of your bicycle. It is very important to keep you cycle’s job on the go and hence, it becomes essential for you to maintain it as nicely as possible. Here are some pointers that will aid you in learning the repairing of a bicycle axle at your home:
- Firstly, you should create a checklist of all the pre-requisites required while you repair or change the axle of your bicycle. These are wrench, water, cloth and a replacement axle.
- On the end of the axle, there is a quick release lever that enables you to remove the components of your bicycle quickly and easily. Release that lever to access the components and the axle in a simpler manner.
- Using a wrench, unscrew the axle cap located on the other side of the axle.
- Clean the axle. Sometimes, it might not have been damaged and simply needs a cleaning session. Take a clean rag and some water and then rub off the dirt present over your axle.
- Even after cleaning, your bicycle is not working properly then it is bent and actually needs a replacement. Repeat the steps 1,2 and 3 and after removing the bent axle, slide the new axle into the wheel. Screw on the axle cap and using a wrench tighten the screw so that it won’t come out even after rough riding.
- Finally, turn the quick release lever clockwise to tighten it up.
Along with these quick steps, you may also learn how to install disk brakes on your bicycle to enhance the performance of your bicycle.
A bicycle is a very useful yet inexpensive vehicle that can be afforded by anyone and everyone. Axle is the most eminent part as it assists the wheels to rotate over and over so that you can enjoy a smooth ride. Hence, it is necessary to keep a check on the cleanliness and maintenance of an axle. No need to worry when you are stuck with a damaged axle when you know the perfect steps to get it replaced in a very easy and quick way.